The sun is out, and like everyone else in England I’m determined to make the most of it! Jonathan is outside gardening, watering, weeding and planting (and Flora is digging everything up again), I’ve dusted off my outdoor garden furniture that I bought last year (and only got to use once), and I’ve got some friends popping over this afternoon for a light, summery lunch – and plenty of rosé. Theres a million and one other things that I need to be getting on with, but today I just feel the need to switch off, procrastinate and feel the sun on my face. Even if it means shivering outside with my jumper on.
Obviously salads are perfect for sunny days, and adding fruit to a salad is nothing new – just try the watermelon, black olive and feta salad or a grape & blue cheese one if you’re not convinced! But I’ve only recently started experimenting more with cantaloupe melon in savoury dishes. It actually works surprisingly well with tuna tartare, but this light, sweet and summery salad is still the winner for me.
Give it a go! It’s great as a salad on its own, or as a salsa, or as a side salad.
You will need:
- 1 cantaloupe melon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 avocados, skin and stone removed and finely chopped
- 1 punnet of mini plum or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 handful of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- olive oil, for drizzling
- honey (optional)
1. Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl – saving the chilli, lime and olive oil for the dressing. Whisk a glug of olive oil with the juice of 1 lime and the chopped chilli, and add salt and pepper to taste. Add honey if you would prefer it sweeter, or lime juice if you prefer it tangier.