Creamy and comforting, this fish pie is the perfect antidote to cold, dark nights – and is surprisingly cheap, quick and easy to prepare! Just throw the ingredients together in an oven-proof dish, bung it in the oven to cook whilst you get your comfy clothes on, lay the table and find something good to watch, and before you know it you’ll have a steaming bowl of yumminess. Promise.
You will need:
- 1 bag of floury potatoes like King Edwards or Maris Piper (some supermarkets even sell them pre-peeled!) for mashing, or 1 tub of shop-bought ready made mash
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped
- 1 packet of dyed smoked haddock fillet (skin remove), cut into pieces
- 1 packet of salmon, cod or other fish (optional)
- 1 pack of peeled jumbo prawns (approx 220g)
- 125g frozen peas
- 50g butter
- Splsh of milk
- 2 x 350 tubs of cheese sauce
- 1 handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Parmesan, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. If you’re making the mashed potato from scratch, peel them, quarter them, and add them to a saucepan of boiling water for 20 minutes. Once cooked, drain them, then return them to the pan to mash (if you bought ready-made mash, go to step 3).
3. Add 50g of butter, the chopped leeks, and a splash of milk to the potatoes and mash together.
4. Warm the three cheese sauce in a saucepan on the hob (but don’t bring to the boil), then remove from the heat and stir in the chopped parsley, the lemon zest and the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Arrange the haddock, prawns and any other fish in an oven-proof dish (about 1.5 – 2 litre size) together with the peas, then pour in the creamy sauce. Top with the mashed potatoes, then grate some Parmesan on top.
6. Place the dish in the hot oven and bake for around 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.