You won’t believe how easy it is to make your very own ice cream at home – and no, you don’t need any special equipment! You can add a splash of rum to this chocolate chip ice cream for an added kick, or add some mint for a mint chocolate chip ice cream, or replace the chocolate with berries and replace the rum with Pimms and you’ll have an eton mess ice cream – you get the picture! You could even add some Nutella, fudge pieces, caramel, etc and have your own homemade version of Ben & Jerry’s. So many different options – the world is your lobster!
You will need:
- 300ml double cream
- 30 grams quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 splash of rum (optional)
- 150 grams meringue nests
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream until nice and thick, then fold in the chocolate chips, gently mixing it together, and add the vanilla essence and / or rum
- One by one crush the meringue nests with both hands and crumble the meringue crumbs and powder into the cream and fold into the mixture
- Add more vanilla or chocolate to taste, if you so desire
- Pour the mixture into a tupperware box and seal, the place in the freezer overnight
- To serve, either tip the tupperware upside down to form solid ice cream “cake” which can be cut into slices, or scoop out little balls with an ice cream scoop. Your guests won’t believe you made it!