Chocolate and orange is a delightful pairing of bitter and sweet. This marbled sponge recreates the delicious flavours of that famous Christmas chocolate treat, with swirls of dark chocolate and orange sponge. Topped with an easy orange icing and grated dark chocolate, it’s a wonderfully indulgent treat..
You will need:
- 225g Butter
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tbsp Warm Water
- 2 Tsp Orange Essence
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 1 Tsp Orange Essence
- Dark Chocolate, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 160C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
2. Line and grease a 8 inch round cake tin.
3. Place the sugar and butter into a large mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
4. Add in the self raising flour, baking powder and eggs and beat together until well incorporated, around two – three minutes.
5. Equally separate the mixture into two bowls. In one bowl add in the orange essence and beat together until well combined.
6. In a small mug mix the cocoa powder and water together to form a thick paste. Add this to the second bowl of cake batter and beat together until well combined.
7. In the prepared cake tin, spoon alternate equal dollops of each mixture into the tin. Using the back of a knife or skewer, drag it through the mixture in swirls to create a marble pattern throughout the cake.
8. Place in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Once out of the oven, leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring on to a cooling rack.
9. Mix the icing sugar with a little cold water until you get a thick pouring consistency. Add in the orange essence and mix together.
10. Once the cake has cooled, pour the icing over allowing it to drip down the edges. Grate some dark chocolate on top to decorate and add extra flavour.