This crayfish & avocado starter is a winner every time! It’s super easy to make (you just need three ingredients) and it tastes very light and refreshing. Feel free to add some chilli or some horseradish to give it a subtle kick, and if you can’t find crayfish then crabmeat works just as nicely!
You will need:
- 1 packet of crayfish
- 1 avocado
- 1 small tub of creme fraiche
To season, you’ll need some salt & pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Garnish with caperberries!
1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pip and the skin, then mash the avocado up with a fork (or potato masher if you have one).
2. Chop the crayfish into little bits, and mix it in with the avocado. Mix in a few big spoonfuls of creme fraiche so it sticks together nicely but isn’t too creamy.
3. Add salt, pepper, and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Add further seasoning if you wish (a teaspoon of horseradish or a pinch of chilli) to taste. If you have them, add some finely chopped capers, but this is not to everyone’s taste!
4. Squish half of the mixture into a ramekin and then tip upside down onto a plate – give the ramekin a few pats to encourage the mixture to tip out! It should keep its shape. Don’t worry if you don’t have a ramekin, you can just pile the mixture onto the middle of the plate! Garnish with a caperberry or two.