Making your own ice cream is so much easier than people think – you don’t need any expensive equipment or ice cream making machines. Usually I just whip double cream and fold in crushed and crumbled meringue nests and then add either lemon juice and vanilla to make homemade lemon ice cream (my favourite recipe yet), chocolate and vanilla to make homemade chocolate chip ice cream, or some blueberries to make blueberry ice cream. But I’ve discovered something even easier, and even more indulgent…
Instead of whipping your usual standard double cream, many supermarkets sell extra thick double cream for spooning and scooping – this is a cream so thick you can hold it upside down and the cream won’t budge. When you freeze this cream, it’s basically instant ice cream! So blend it with some fruit to fill your popsicle moulds, or stir in your favourite treats like chocolate, fudge, brownies and caramel to make your own Ben-and-Jerrys-style ice cream.
I had some chocolate and Oreos lying around so made this super sweet, rich, creamy and crunchy chocolate-chip and Oreo cookie ice cream (with no added sugar).
All you need is:
- 1 pot of extra thick double cream (the spooning kind, not for whipping)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (I used a vanilla bean paste which has the pretty black vanilla dots in it)
- 1 milk chocolate bar, finely chopped
- 1 packet of Oreos or similar, crumbled
- 1 packet of supermarket Meringue nests, crumbled into a powder
- Some low-cal sweetener
1. Scoop the cream into a large bowl and swirl in the vanilla essence or paste, and some sweetener to taste.
2. Fold in the crumbled meringue nests…
3. Fold in the chopped chocolate…
4. Fold in the Oreo cookies… Then taste a spoonful and make sure you’re happy with it (or add more chocolate / cookied / vanilla / sweetener etc).
5. Scoop the mixture into a tupperware container and freeze! If you make this in the morning or early afternoon, the ice cream should be set by the evening!
6. Serve and top with crumbled Oreo cookies or shaved chocolate.