Gambas Pil Pil is a Spanish tapas made with prawns, chilli and garlic. For my version I like to add some fresh ginger which gives it an extra kick! Serve it with some bread on the side to mop up some of the delicious oil!
You will need:
- 500g prawns (peeled and deveined)
- 15 cloves of garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 2 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger
- 175m dry white wine
- 150g butter
- paprika powder (for serving)
- olive oil
- bread (to serve)
- Peel and finely chop all the garlic, and put aside.
- Cut the chilli in half and remove the pith and seeds, then finely chop and put aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan on a low hear and add a good splash of olive oil (about 3 tablespoons). When the oil and butter starts to bubble, add in the chopped garlic and grated ginger, then stir in the chopped chilli and add the prawns.
- When the mixture starts to thicken / dry out, stir in the wine.
- When the prawns are nice and pink, scoop them out onto plates (or ramekins if serving as tapas) and serve hot. Don’t forget the bread for dipping!