Making homemade chocolate bars (or in my case – more like a chocolate pizza!) is super fun to do, great to make with little ones and can be great served as dessert at a dinner party or wrapped up in cellophane and tied with a bow as a lovely gift. The best bit is that there are no rules, really – anything goes. You can use white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate – or even all three! You can stir in Oreo cookies or any other biscuits, fudge, caramel, marshmallows, dried fruit, nuts, nougat or other confectionary like honeycomb. But the thicker the bar becomes, the harder it becomes to bite into – so they are best when max 1cm tall (but can be as wide as you like).
You will need:
- 1 bar milk chocolate (for melting – this can be found in the baking isle)
- 1 bar white chocolate (for melting – this can be found in the baking isle)
- 1 bar dark chocolate (for melting – this can be found in the baking isle)
- 3 Crunchie bars or other honeycomb, chopped
- 1 handful of pecan nuts (or walnuts)
- 1 fruit & nut bar, chopped
- 1 bag of freeze dried raspberries (optional – they can be quite expensive!)
- anything else you like!
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, finely chop each chocolate bar (separately) and put the chopped chocolate in individual bowls (one for white chocolate, one for milk chocolate and one for dark chocolate).
- Place one bowl over the simmering water and slowly melt the chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is melted. Repeat with the other two.
- In a large non-stick rubber baking mould (or a baking dish lined with a sheet of clingfilm), drizzle in some melted milk chocolate, then sprinkle in some crumbled honeycomb, chopped fruit & nut bar, freeze dried raspberries and chopped nuts, then drizzle over a layer of dark chocolate, and a layer of white chocolate.
- When you’re happy with your chocolate bar, place in the fridge to set – this can take a few hours!
- When the chocolate has set, gently remove it from it’s mould or peel away the clingfilm. Serve with ice cream or wrap as a gift!