This salad has been a work-in-progress for a little while and I’ve experimented with different variations, although I think I’ve finally found the winning combination! Surprisingly, having taken the leftovers to work one day, I found that the salad tastes even better the next day. Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself! The salad makes a great packed lunch / al-desko lunch, and would also work great as a BBQ side salad in the Summer. The dressing is arguably the best bit – once you try it, you’ll be hooked! Although it’s a creamy-ish and sweet dressing, it’s very light and fairly healthy, and is my new go-to salad dressing! The salad can be a bit bare for dinner (or man feeding), so for a main meal just add in some fried pancetta or bacon, some chicken and some shaved parmesan and BOOM – the most incredible salad.
For the salad you’ll need:
- 1 cabbage, finely chopped
- 4 apples, peeled, de-cored and finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1 bag of radishes, finely sliced
- 1 punnet of cress (optional)
For the dressing:
- 1 tub of fat free runny yoghurt or 1 tub of buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons of minced shallots
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 5 tablespoons of finely chopped chives (optional)
1. Whisk together the yoghurt (or buttermilk), vinegar, shallots and honey with a pinch of salt & pepper, then whisk in chives.
2. Finely chop the cabbage, apple, celery and radish and toss together with the dressing. Serve straight away or keep in the fridge for up to a few days.