This colourful slaw is inspired by Nigella’s Christmas ham menu – I tried at Christmas and have been hooked every since! I have a thing for barbequed pulled pork and this slaw goes with it (and most BBQ foods) perfectly (as does my napa salad!)
The best bit is definitely the unique dressing of pineapple juice, sesame oil and lime zest – it has to be tried!
You will need:
- 1 small purple cabbage
- 1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed
- 2 red peppers, membranes and seeds removed
- 1 yellow pepper, membranes and seeds removed
- 1 green pepper, membranes and seeds removed
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed
- 1 large bunch of fresh coriander
- 250ml pineapple juice, from a carton
- 2 limes, preferably unwaxed
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
1. Chop the cabbage, finely slice the spring onions and peppers, and finely chop the red chilli and the coriander (stalks and leaves) and toss together in the largest bowl you have.
2. In a bowl or measuring jug, mix together the pineapple juice, the zest and juice of 1 lime and the juice of half of the second. Sprinkle in the salt, add the sesame oil and maple syrup (or honey), and whisk together before pouring over the prepared vegetables. Toss to mix, then leave to stand for at least 15 minutes, and up to 2 hours, before serving.