What could be better than homemade strawberry jam? Strawberry and champagne (or prosecco) jam, that’s what. This fabulous jam is just right for serving with homemade scones and clotted cream (and a glass of fizz!) for a delicious afternoon tea. It only takes three ingredients, and five minutes to make!
I’ve got the grandparents / in-laws round for afternoon tea this weekend, so will be doing an afternoon tea with homemade lemonade scones and this jam – hoping it will win me some brownie points!
You will need:
- 150ml prosecco
- 1kg Tate & Lyle Jam Sugar
- 1kg strawberries
1. Put the prosecco, Tate & Lyle Jam Sugar* and strawberries into a large heavy-based saucepan and place over a low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
The strawberries slowly disintegrate into mush – making your kitchen smell heavenly!
2. Increase the heat and boil steadily for 10 minutes, taking care to keep an eye on the jam to ensure that it doesn’t boil too rapidly.
3. Meanwhile, sterilize 4 x 450g jars (I bought these little Kilner jars from Wilkos) by washing them in hot soapy water, rinsing well, then placing them in a low oven at 150°C/Fan 130°C/Gas Mark 2 for 10 minutes.
4. Test the jam for setting point. To check, remove the saucepan from the heat, spoon a little jam onto a cold plate and leave for 2 minutes – it should wrinkle softly when your finger is pushed over the surface. If this point has not been reached, return the saucepan to the heat and continue to boil for another 2 minutes. Test as before until setting point is reached. (You may need to test several times, though be patient, as this testing is crucial to achieve the right consistency).
5. Pour the hot jam into the warm sterilized jars. Leave to cool, then seal.
*Tate & Lyle Jam Sugar (made from Fairtrade cane sugar) is vital in jams as a natural preserving agent and flavouring. Added pectin, a gelling agent naturally occurring in fruits, helps when using low pectin fruits like strawberries or cherries. All you need to do is decide on your favourite fruit and Tate & Lyle sugar will do the rest to ensure a perfectly set jam or jelly every time you make it!