This time of year always makes you crave something hearty, warm and comforting in the evenings, but after all that stodge you can end up feeling a bit bloated! This recipe is filling, healthy and comforting, and will leave you feeling full but not bloated.
You will need:
- 2 aubergines
- 1 tub of ricotta or mascarpone
- 1 bag of kale, stems removed
- 1/2 jar roasted red peppers
- 1 jar pitted black olives
- 1 medium jar passata or tomato sauce
- 1 Mozzarella
- Salt, pepper and fresh rosemary, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Slice the aubergine into long thin slices, then line them on some greaseproof baking paper. Drizzle some olive oil over the top, then flip the aubergines over and drizzle on more oil so that both sides are coated. Bake them for 10 minutes, then turn the aubergines over and bake for another 10 minutes, so that they are cooked through and golden – but not crisp.
2. Meanwhile, while the aubergine is baking, place all the kale into a deep frying pan with a little olive oil, and fry on a medium heat for around 5 minutes, until all of the kale has wilted.
3. Chop the roasted red peppers and the pitted black olives and put them in a mixing bowl, then add all of the ricotta (or mascarpone works fine too), and the kale. Season with some salt, pepper and chopped fresh rosemary. Mix together so that everything is evenly distributed.
4. Spoon half of the tomato sauce / passata into the bottom of a deep baking dish. Take one of the cooked aubergine slices, then squish a spoonful of the kale mixture onto one end of the aubergine and roll it up, then place the roll into the baking dish. Repeat this until you run out of aubergine slices (or space).
5. Empty the rest of the tomato sauce over the top, and spread the Mozzarella over the top, then grate over some Parmesan. Pop it in the oven and cook for around 20 minutes. Serve with more Parmesan!