What could be better than a steaming mug of spiced mulled wine on a cold dark evening? White mulled wine, that’s what. I tried some for the first time at Aubaine recently, and now I’m hooked! It’s much lighter and sweeter than a red mulled wine, and it also saves you having those red wine stained lips and teeth at parties. The best way to describe it would be a warm and wintery sangria. I had to make this at home! Aubaine kindly gave me their recipe, and it’s a winner every time.
You will need:
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 6 whole cloves
- 175g sugar
- 25g honey
- 150ml water
- 1 bottle of white wine
1. Cut the lemon and orange into thin quarter slices and add to a saucepan.
2. Add the honey, sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks and star anise.
3. Heat the ingredients on the stove until they start to lightly caramelise, then add the water.
4. Simmer for around 5 minutes, then pour in the wine and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Serve hot and garnish with star anise and a quarter slice of orange.